Google Analytics is a free web analytics service offered by Google. It is the most widely adopted web analytics tool in the world and can be used by small and large websites alike. Should you start using it, too?
Why should I use Google Analytics?
Installing Google Analytics gives you answers to questions related to the usage of your website and enables you to generate B2B leads with Leadfeeder. Some of the examples of the questions Google Analytics can answer include:
- How many visitors does my website have monthly?
- How does my social media presence translate into visits to my website?
- Which blog posts drive the most traffic?
- How many pages do visitors read on average?
- Where are my visitors located geographically?
- Are mobile users using the website differently to desktop users?
- How do my users convert into leads or customers?
- Which marketing activities drive the highest quality traffic?
- Are my marketing campaigns profitable?
In short, Google Analytics is a great tool. If you are not using another paid-for web analytics tool, it’s safe to say you should at least try Analytics. It’s high-performance so it won’t slow your website. It’s also free and very quick to install.
Leadfeeder is a B2B sales tool that uses Google Analytics to generate leads from your website visitors. In order to use Leadfeeder, you have to use Google Analytics first.
How to Install Google Analytics?
You need to have a Google Account to sign up to Google Analytics. If you are using Gmail or an Android phone, you already have a Google Account that you can use. You can of course create a new account for Analytics, too.
- Go to https://google.com/analytics
- Click Sign in at the top right corner and select Analytics
- Either sign in to your Google Account (if you have one) or create a new account. If you need to create an account, click More options on the bottom left and select Create account. If you already have a Google Account, sign in and jump to 5.
- Create an account. After filling the form and accepting terms and conditions, you are signed in. Remember your password and username for future use!
- After you’ve signed in to Google services, you can start using Google Analytics. Click sign up.
- You want to track a website, so make sure you’ve selected Website from the top of the form. Then type in Account name and Property name and the address of the website you want to track. Account name can be the name of your company and the Property name the address of your website, for example.
- Click Get Tracking ID from the bottom of the page and accept Terms of Service Agreement
- The next screen you are directed to is Google Analytics administration page, where you can get the tracking script. These are the lines of code you have to add to your website code.
- Install the script (see notes)
- Google Analytics is now installed and it’s tracking your website traffic. Next thing: sign up to Leadfeeder and see who really visits your website. It uses your Google Analytics traffic and the setup takes only 30 seconds! Sign up here.
Google Analytics can only show you visits that occured after you installed the script to your website. You can verify that everything is working with the Real-time view.
Select the Real-time view from the left sidebar (or click the link). Now, on a second browser tab go to the page you are tracking and your visit should appear in the Real-time view. If that’s so, you can be sure everything is working.
Google Analytics is now tracking your site, but there’s not that much data yet, so everything is quite empty if you click on the different sections on the left sidebar.
Come back in a few days and it’ll all be a lot more interesting. While you are waiting for data to accumulate, go ahead and read our guide to Google Analytics terms. You can also read more about Leadfeeder.
Don’t know how to install Google Analytics script to your website? Have no idea what a “script” is? Can’t install Leadfeeder even though you know your company is using Google Analytics?
This is how to go forward:
- Contact your marketing department and ask whether you are already using Google Analytics. If yes, ask them to sign up to Leadfeeder, too. (hint: send a link to www.leadfeeder.com)
- If no, send them a link to this page and ask whether they could install Google Analytics for you.
- Still confused about who to contact? Try emailing a link to this page to whomever created your website.